Thursday, August 12, 2010

How to Make Low-Fat Chocolate Chip Cookies with Applesauce

Ok, so since having Levi 4 months ago, losing weight has been one of those things that have been at the back of my mind yet still important. Lucky (I guess) for me when i got tendinitis I lost ten pounds due to my loss of appetite - the pain just pushed eating out of my daily routine, I suppose. Once the ol' appetite returned I thought of baking lots of yummy desserts - but that's not the smartest thing to do when wanting to shed pounds so I've been searching the interwebs for a good low fat cookie... to no avail. Every time - EVERY TIME it called for shortening...which is worse than butter in my book. I always heard of the applesauce urban legend and looked up recipes for that but they all wanted me to do more work than I wanted. I'm lazy like that. So I figured I'll just make my chocochip cookies with just a little switch-a-roo. I only made 1/4 order just in case they turned out disgusting...I didn't want to waste good ingredients.

Let me first say this; they turned out much better than i thought they would. The texture was a bit between cake and brownie...fluffy like cake and firmer like a brownie. This makes me think of maybe omitting egg next time to see how the texture is without it. I recommend dollops of dough on the cooking sheet - rolling won't be possible due to the consistency of the dough... its a bit tacky. So here is how its done:

In a large bowl mix
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar

- 1/4 applesauce
Then throw in and mix
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 and egg (yes, I know this sounds weird, but do it!)
Now add and mix
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
Then add
- (another) 1/2 cup flour (you can add more in the consistency seems a bit to runny)
- 1/4 bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips
and mix

Preheat oven at 350 degrees and DO grease the baking sheet - they have no butter to help them off the pan so easily. Cook for about 8-11 minutes or until they start to brown. Cool and enjoy.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More