Friday, January 28, 2011

Project Review: City Satchel - Sew What! Bags


Today's Project Review is the City Satchel  found in Sew What! Bags, page 120.

I'll admit, I was a bit intimidated by this project but I found it was very easy despite the skill level being Daredevil. The fabrics I used are white Kona cotton for the lining and black cotton for the gusset. The main fabric I found at IKEA in the as-is section for 90 cents. Its a heavy canvas-like fabric. And there was JUST enough fabric for it too!

I really love the layout and imagery in this book. It made it simple enough visually that I didn't really need to read the instructions ( although I don't encourage that! ) I love all the pockets. I love making pockets too - its fun and that equals lots of organizing space in the bag! There are 2 on each side (gusset), 4 on the back and 3 under the flap. I added a few more to the inside as well. Can you really have too many pockets?

Options:
The pattern gives you the option to add a lining or not. I completely recommend adding the lining - it will give you a sturdier bag and a more finished look. You also have the option to add more pockets on the inside lining.

What I would Do Differently:
The pattern calls for a 8x44 piece for the strap, which I found WAY too long and wide for me. I cut mine down to about 38" and I would recommend a 6.5" width.

Overall this was a great pattern that is really fun and quite simple. May be a little hard for a newbie, but you can surely take a courageous crack at it.

Now what do I do with this....?

2 comments:

Thanks Tiffany! I love your blog name. I too would write for food :)

Beautiful bag! I just took this book out of the library and am working my way up to making one of the bigger messenger bags. You bag is really lovely! I, too, find the IKEA as-is room a great place for things to repurpose.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More