Friday, January 21, 2011

Project Review - Online Edition: Bias Tape Bag @ Prudent Baby


Yes, it is a fact that I hate bias tape. Maybe even fear it - for it has jacked up so many potentially great projects for me. But in reality, who am I kidding - it's all me! I jack them up...usually in my anger over how much the bias tape aggravates me.

So, I've decided its time to conquer this devil and fear no more! I've always wanted to make a bias tape bag and I'll no longer let my fears and anger get in the way.

Over at Prudent Baby - I love this site, btw - They have a pattern for said bag and dagnabbit, I did it!

I would have finished sooner  - much sooner (the project states it should be an under-an-hour project). I like to multitask when I sew, and yes, watching tv is considered a task...and AMC was having a marathon of The Walking Dead so needless to say I was a bit distracted.. and it took about 4 hours.

So on to the review:
I used the only double folded bias tape I had. And it was tan. Hmph. The only fabric I had that would match was this lovely one - Freshcut by Heather Bailey. For the lining I used Objects of Desire by Sandy Gervais. What's cool is its reversible. I like that. The pattern was very clear and used lots of step-by-step pictures (I LOVE that!). The only thing I got a bit stuck on was how to sew the bias once you got to the "V" shape on the outer edges of the bag and how to 'finish' once the 2 ends other bias tape meet. I like how they pinned the fabric together with the pin ends facing out instead of in, the latter being seen most in sewing books and tutorials. This made sewing much easier and less stop-and-start. Also, they have a different take on sewing bias than what I've ever seen, and it was a breath of fresh air. Its very easy to make this bag and I recommend it to all skill levels.

Overall, I like it, bias no longer is my enemy and it got a pretty sweet bag out of it. Hooray.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More