Thursday, January 13, 2011

Project Review: Piped Pillow


Project Review: Piped Pillow - S.E.W. Sew Everything Workshop, Page 190.

Let me first say that this book is a complete step-by-step beginners guide as it states in its subtitle. The book starts with sewing tips & tricks for certain fabrics, patterns, materials, supplies - everything. It has some great resources for the sewing novice and intermediate seamstresses. 

I've needed to make new pillows for a while. I've wanted to try this piped pillow because I wanted a bit of a challenge and since I've only used piping once, years ago, I thought it'd be a good time to give it a whirl.

I used some more of the Brother and Sister Design Studio Fabric from Hobby Lobby - and only needed a half yard. I used some black 1/2" piping I found for 25 cents at the 2nd hand shop so the whole project was less than $3! (I already had the pillow form.)

I like the layout of the instructions. The skill level is 3 spools (how clever) - which is intermediate/advanced. Shown are step-by-step imagery, finished product and very clear instructions. It also states the pages where you can find how to do certain techniques like how to notch  corners. I wish all books had these little references so you don't have to search all over for them.


What I would do different:
I'll admit, the hardest part was getting the pillow form into the 7" opening. Next time I'd add a zipper to create pillow cover than can be taken off and washed - I do have kids that like to throw pillows on the floor and stand on them - so odd. Maybe we should get some carpeting since all this pillow standing has become a problem.

Overall, it was a very fun & easy pattern - even with the "3 spools" skill level. I didn't think it was hard at all. I would recommend this whole book to all skill levels. You get patterns for some cute clothes, outerwear and under, bags, accessories and home decor. If you want to learn how to create some clothing (for men and women), this would be a great first-timer's guide.

0 comments:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More